Looking for a healthier snack? Or perhaps wanting to make a special homemade gift for someone? Try making your own granola! In the picture above, I added orange, mango, cranberries, almonds & cashews. I love the way you can mix and match the different spices, fruits and nuts. By adding egg whites to your mix you can create a more clumpy mixture which is ideal for snacking.
- 9 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- 2 cups of wheat or oat bran
- Pinch of salt to enhance flavours
- 2 Tsp of your favorite spice
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup canola or sunflower or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of your favorite dried fruit, chopped (unsweetened coconut flakes are my favorite)
- 1 cup of your favorite raisins or dried berries
- 2 cups of your favorite nuts, chopped or whole
- 1 cup of your favorite seeds
- 2 tbsp of your favorite citrus zest
- 1 cup of your favorite white or dark chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment or foil. In a bowl, mix together oats, wheatgerm, bran, salt and spice. Toast nuts/seeds in oven on baking sheet and set aside. Watch that they don’t burn.
- In a medium sized saucepan, mix together sugar, maple syrup, oil and vanilla and then bring to a boil. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir until fully coated.
- When oat mixture is slightly cooled add in whisked egg whites and stir again thoroughly.
- Pour onto a prepared baking sheet and press mixture down with palm of your hand.
- Bake till golden brown (approx. 15 min). Half way through baking process, pat down the oats again with spoon and then return to oven. Once baked and cooled, gently break apart granola with fingers, add your fruit/chocolate/zest/nut options and mix. I like to leave larger chunks in mixture.
- Store in air tight container/ziplock bag. Great as a snack or on top of yogurt.