This is a twist on the classic meat lasagna recipe. Summer lasagna is perfect for the warm weather when you may want to keep meals light. I’ve included a fool proof recipe for white sauce which always ensures the lasagna will turn out creamy and flavourful. You can double the bechemel sauce recipe if you please. One of the reasons I love making lasagna for dinner events is because you can make it well in advance. You can refrigerate your assembled, uncooked lasagna for a good day or two— just make sure to keep it covered.
🍐 PREP TIME: 45 min- 1 hour
🍐 COOK TIME: 45 min @ 375 degrees F
- 1 box lasagna noodles, use 9-12 sheets
- Cooking oil/butter, to prepare pan
- 2 Tbsp extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh spinach or 1 pkg frozen (drained)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small bunch asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 small jar basil pesto
- 1 container of ricotta cheese, 500 g
- Fresh or dried basil, oregano, parsley, salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large pkg or 1 large block Mozzarella cheese, grated (for cheese mixture & topping)
Bechamel (white) sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp flour, all purpose
- In a large frying pan, lightly saute chopped garlic and onion in oil. Add fresh spinach leaves and stir for a few minutes. Add chopped vegetables and cook until softened. Pour into bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, add milk with melted butter and mix together. Slowly incorporate flour while vigorously mixing. The mixture will begin to thicken gradually and when it boils take off heat, pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine and mix together ricotta cheese, parmesan, mozzarella cheese, pepper, salt and other spices. Make sure to set aside some mozzarella cheese for topping.
- When building your lasagna, start by very lightly buttering the bottom of the pan, or use cooking oil spray. Prepare noodles by following box directions which normally involves boiling pasta in salted water for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Lay 3-4 cooked noodles across to cover bottom of a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Spread a thin layer of pesto onto pasta, followed by a layer of spinach mixture. Then drizzle on third of white sauce, followed by cheese mixture. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times and end with a generous sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and contents is bubbly from sides.
Tip: If you want to create a ‘melt in your mouth’ lasagna, try making your own pasta dough. The extra effort is really worth it, especially for a special event. 🌟 💫