The reason I love this eggplant dish so much is because it tastes like you are indulging when in fact it’s a healthy, vegetarian dish. That’s right no meat, but yet full of flavour and texture! This is another great make-ahead dish that is simple and affordable.
PREP TIME: 20 min
COOKING TIME: 1hr @ 350 degrees F
- 2 large *eggplants, peeled and sliced.
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 x 300g container of plain bread crumbs
- 2 x 650 ml jars of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp of basil
- 1 Tbsp of oregano
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Peel eggplants and cut into slices, 1/2 cm in thickness.
- Prepare 9 x 13 inch baking dish by adding couple of tablespoons of sauce to bottom of dish to lightly cover.
- Break eggs into a bowl, whisk together and set aside.
- Place breadcrumbs in shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs, coating both sides one slice at a time.
- Layer prepared eggplant slices into baking dish, approximately 12 slices. Lightly cover eggplant with cheeses, spices and sauce and repeat this step until three layers are formed. Try to end with a topping of sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven until sides are bubbly and cheese is gooey, approx one hour.
🍐 *TIP: There are many eggplant varieties but for this recipe I suggest the Italian eggplant which is pear shape and dark purple in colour.